Tuesday, March 11, 2008

It's Potty Time!!

So, because I'm neurotic and because (sorry mom) my mom makes me crazy even when she thinks she isn't...our last visit with the neurologist was really making me panic about Lexi potty training. Because of that I spent way too much time talking about it in front of her, and pushing her way harder than I needed to. This, of course, guaranteed that she would have nothing to do with the potty or anything potty related until I could learn to keep my trap shut.

Mommy now properly trained, and the stress level relieved, something seemed to click last night. As always, I suggested that Lexi sit on the potty before her tubby. She was happy to sit, but wanted to talk and play as always. After about twenty minutes she told me she didn't want to go. I said something to the effect of that being fine, and she could do whatever she wanted. She immediately sat down and started trying. Well, wouldn't you know it, the kid PEED!!! WOOWOO!! She finally got that punching balloon we've been talking about for weeks, and you would think the thing was made of gold!! She loved it, and punched it so hard that I actually had to put up blocks while I was getting her ready for bed!!

And, I guess the punching balloon was a hit because she has now peed again this morning, pooped at daycare, peed again before dinner, and just peed again right before bed. This is pretty big news in the Lippman house, and we've been telling everyone we see. I am treading very carefully though...I know this is a power thing, and as long as she thinks she's in control we'll be fine. I do hope this is the beginning of real training, but I am bracing myself for many set-backs and keeping my expectations low.

Tonight while she was sitting on the potty I was bopping around getting dinner ready etc. At one point she called to me and said she wanted me to come in and hug her and say, "I'm so proud of you!" So, I did, and was immediately met with a scream and, "WAIT!! You have to wait until I go poopy first!!" I am so slow at learning the rules... :)

No comments: