Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July and Cartoon Thoughts

We had a different, although interesting 4th of July this year. It began on Thursday night with a huge rain storm that left us with dripping ceilings (due to the construction) and no power for about an hour. It was eventful, to say the least, but a little funny to look back on - especially our mad rush to run around and find flashlights (aka Lexi's favorite toys), and candles so that we could eat dinner!
Yesterday started out rainy and we were bummed. Even though North Andover has basically *nothing* in the way of festivities, we had planned to go to Wilmington's celebration with Lexi. However, by noon the skies had cleared, so we took her over. Despite it being close to nap time, we had a blast. She rode the Merry-Go-Round and a bus ride that takes you so high that you can see the entire carnival. We had lots of fun, and I was glad to have something exciting to do. For dinner we ordered sushi and chicken (for Lexi) - I know, very American! - and ate in the living room so we could watch Pop Goes the 4th of July. Lexi enjoyed the music, and getting to stay up late, though she was far less impressed with the 1812 Overture than Ahren and I were.
This got me to thinking about how when I was a kid, these songs were part of all the cartoons we watched. There was no Barney singing "I Love You", it was all silly animals running around to Mozart and Tchaikovsky. So, this morning I decided to show Lexi what "real" cartoons were. I did a search on YouTube for my all time favorite Bugs Bunny cartoon, and found it quickly. I put it on for Lexi, and Ahren and I were immediately horrified at what we used to watch as children. Granted, it's still a fantastic cartoon, but YIKES!! And they say television has gotten *more* violent?? I've never seen Barney shoot someone for interupting one of his songs!! Here is the video. Enjoy!
I hope you all had a great 4th! Today we're headed to CT for a BBQ at Auntie Heather and Uncle Tim's.

1 comment:

- said...

we also used to ride in the front seat of the car sitting on someone's lap (no seatbelts) ... so maybe change isn't always bad :)