Thursday, July 10, 2008

Three Is The New Two

Stubborn. Defiant. Whiny. Three words that would have never described my two year old, but are quickly becoming daily descriptions of her almost three year old behavior. Yes, it's true...three is the new two.

After a rather cranky start to the day, this was my attempt to lighten the mood:

Me: "Hey Lexi, you know what we're going to be doing at this time next week?"
Lexi: "What." (In that, "don't even bother trying to impress me, Mom." tone)
Me: "We're going to be on an airplane flying to California!"
Lexi: "Oh."
Me: "Doesn't that sound like fun??"
Lexi. "no."
Me: "Okay..."
Lexi: "Maybe you guys can go, and I'll just watch."

Then, there was this gem from yesterday...

Me: "Lexi, would you like to bring this paper and your markers to Mommy's office today?" (She had thrown up that morning, so she couldn't go to daycare)
Lexi: "But, you told me that paper was for the airplane."
Me: "No, the new coloring books are for the airplane. This paper is for home."
Lexi: "Why?"
Me: "Because I don't want to bring your markers on the plane. I'm afraid we'll lose them."
Lexi: "Why?"
Me: "Well, it's easy to lose stuff when we travel, and I bought you special crayons for the plane so that we can leave the markers at home."
Lexi: "Oh."
Me: "So would you like to bring this paper and your markers to my office?"
Lexi: "But you just said you bought it for me to use at home?"
Me: "Well, I meant 'home' as in 'not California', but we can still bring it to the office."
Lexi: "Why?"
Me: "Because I'm telling you right now that it's okay."
Lexi: "Why?"
Me: "Lexi, do you want to bring this paper to the office or not?"
Lexi: "No."
Me: "Okay."
Lexi: "YES!!"
Me: "Okay."

These conversations can be exhausting. A couple of months ago it would have gone like this...
Me: "Lexi, do you want to bring this paper and your markers to Mommy's office?"
Lexi: "Okay."
Me: "Okay."
Ah...those were the days. :)

No comments: