Tuesday, July 8, 2008
www.Dooce.com
I read a blog called Dooce – www.dooce.com that Ali recommended to me about 6 months ago. When I first started reading (from where she was, not at the beginning) I didn’t think I liked her style, the way she talked about her 4 year old, etc. That lasted about two days when I read more about her interactions with her daughter, Leta. I think Leta and Lexi are probably not alike at all, but sometimes the stories she tells about Leta – well let’s just say change the “ta” to “xi” and it’s my story. Every month she writes a letter to Leta, and every month it makes me cry. There is something about the way she writes about Leta’s life that makes me feel so much stronger and more confident as a parent. I’m sure I’m not saying this correctly, but let me put it this way…I went back and read a few months of her blog right after she had Leta, and turned to Ahren and said, “If I had known about this blog when I had Lexi, I wouldn’t have needed therapy.” She’s heard this type of feedback before, and while it seems odd, I think it’s just that you sometimes feel so alone as a parent, especially during the hard times, so to go online and read about some perfect stranger’s nearly exact interaction with their child it’s just enormously helpful. Here is her post today. The last two paragraphs are an example of a story that I could have written about Lexi – just slightly different scenario…say, going on a pony ride.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment