Monday, April 14, 2008

Baby's First Photo

Today was my first visit with my nurse midwife, Ruth, who I ADORE. This whole practice is so completely different from mt last practice that I now cannot believe I stuck with the old place so long. In just one visit she agreed that three issues they (the old place) insisted on during my previous pregnancy were ridiculous, and not how she does it. I feel like I can breathe an enormous sigh of relief because I'm just 100% sure that everything she and Dr. Edwards do is for the good of the patient - what a novel idea!
The *only* negative is that she told me that if I stay with them then I will almost certainly have another c-section. This is definitely not my preference, but I'm also not willing to leave such a wonderful and loving practice for just one portion (albeit an important portion) of this event. I do have to remind myself that a planned c-section is much different than an emergency c-section - that I will be awake and will be able to hold my baby as soon as he/she is taken out; I won't (I don't think) have to go to recovery for hours while everyone else gets to enjoy my baby's first moments without me; The entire situation will be calm and prepared rather than rushed and scary as hell. I know this is okay...I just have to get over it. And I will...soon.
So, basically the whole visit was questions, lab tests, reminding me of everything I can and cannot do, etc. However the one exciting part (and my only benefit to having a child with tethered cord) was that I got to have an ultrasound today! It was amazing. How else can you describe seeing this teeny tiny baby's heart beating inside of you...a baby so small that she would be difficult to see if she were right in front of us...this microscopic miracle living inside your body. People get pregnant and have babies every day, and I think we sort of forget how miraculous it all is. But when you get to look up at that screen and say, "Look, there she (or he) is! My child!"...speechless. My mom and Lexi were in the room with me and I sort of had the urge to say, "Hey Mom! Look what I made!" My mom was happy as could be...Lexi on the other hand...well, she had a Tigger to play with, and who really cares about that blur on the screen.
Anyway, everything was perfect. The baby actually measures a little ahead at 7w3d, where she is only actually 6w6d. That's really not a big deal, so we keep the December 2nd due date. Her heart rate was 140 which the tech said was "Perfect." I told her that's my favorite word used to describe my children.
Perfect. Yes. And here is her perfect little picture.

1 comment:

- said...

the first picture of the second avocado !