Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So This Is What Normal Is Like...?

Last week I had to go in for my AFP test. This is the test that tells you whether your baby is at a higher risk than normal for Downs Syndrome or Neural Tube Defects. If you knew us when we were pregnant with Lexi, you will recall that this is the test that came back with a 1:98 chance of the baby having Downs, and then after the ultrasound they increased the chance to 1:49. It was pretty much the worst week of our lives (at that point!) when we had to go in for an amnio and then wait around for the results. The amnio came back showing that she was perfect as could be, and it was a great relief.
So, when they asked us if we wanted the test this time around, Ahren and I didn't even have to stop to think about it. Although it was scary to live through, we were glad to have the opportunity to know what might have been. Especially with NTDs, it is important to know before the birth of the baby so that you can prepare, and also not cause more damage during the birth process. We've been told that Lexi's tethered cord was technically a NTD, so while there is really no greater chance of this child having a NTD, it would really be ridiculous of us to pass up the test.
So, once I had the test I kind of forgot about getting the results. We're going in tomorrow for the BIG ULTRASOUND, but today I thought about it and just HAD to know what the results were. So, I called in and was told that everything came back NORMAL!!! Normal. Isn't that an awesome word? The nurse actually thought I must have been calling about something else since I was scheduled to come in tomorrow (I guess most people don't call for these results). She asked me if there was another test result I was waiting for and I said, "Nope, that's all I needed to hear." :) Tomorrow we find out the sex of the baby, but today is really the big news day for me. It actually feels a little strange, this "normal" thing. Let's just hope it stays this way, as I'm sure it will. :)
Be sure to check back tomorrow for the other big news...Girl? Boy? Tomorrow we'll know (I hope!)

No comments: