Monday, May 5, 2008

Out-Witted Again

On Mondays, Lexi and I almost always take our trip to the grocery store right around nap time. After we've loaded the groceries in the car, we take a long, slow, relaxing ride around the lake. Lexi usually makes it about half way before she doses off and then when we get home, I quietly move her to her bed and enjoy nap time. But today I got so hungry at the store that I had to buy some peanut M&Ms to eat in the car. I, of course, could not share these with Lexi - especially in the car, but the fact that I was eating them became an enormous distraction. So, I suggested a little Elmo music thinking this was a sure fire way to take her mind off the M&Ms and drift her off to sleepy time. So, I start up the CD and she starts singing this silly gibberish song over the monsters of Sesame Street's lovely version of "Sing A Song". I tried to let it go for a minute, but finally said, "Lexi, I thought you wanted to hear Elmo sing?" Her reply? "I do Mama, but he is saying 'Sing A Song' so I have to sing along with him!" How can I argue with that? She was absolutely right. And she sang along to every single song on that CD...two times around the lake. How is it that she keeps out-witting me??

1 comment:

- said...

i would do anything to have nap time reinstated ! you name the song ... i'll sing it. or not sing it. whatever.