Thursday, January 10, 2008

"So, what do we do now, Mama?"

I try hard to come up with fun and creative things to do with Lexi when we're home together. Sometimes we finish an activity and I think, "Man, I am a genius!" Other days, like Monday, I think, "Oh man...I need to hire a nanny." After PT on Monday, Lexi and I did our grocery shopping, and then she took a nice nap. When she woke up there was still lots of time before dinner, so I thought I'd need to come up with something that would keep us entertained for awhile. I remembered that Auntie Kae bought Lexi a big trunk full of dress up clothes, so I suggested that we play dress up. Lexi was thrilled! I grabbed the trunk, whipped it open, and started dressing her up. We giggled, changed her outfit a few times, took a million pictures, and then...just stared at each other. After a minute Lexi said to me, "So, now what do we do, Mama?" to which I replied, "I have no idea." Lexi spent the rest of the afternoon in her pretty dress, doing puzzles, and I spent the rest of the afternoon realizing that she needed some friends. :)

(hmm, I need to figure out how to rotate pictures!)

Fortunately, the thrill of dress up did not wear off, as she asked to play again last night and just finds the whole idea hysterical. If it makes Lexi laugh, I'll play all day. Last night we kept the dress on while she helped me make dinner. While I was preparing something off to the side, Lexi was playing with the phone. She turned it on and left it on long enough to get the operator who says, "If you'd like to make a call...." I thought she would panic and hang up, but no...she starts talking to the operator. "Oh, hi. It's Lexi. Oh, I'm just helping my mama make supper...." Had I not been right in the middle of preparing dinner I would have run for the video camera. Although, like most funny things she does, I probably would have missed it anyway.




2 comments:

Heather, Tim, Delia, Logan and Gus said...

Is it dress up age already-woo hoo! Let me know when you want me to start passing down my old fun "dress Up" clothes..

Anonymous said...

That Lexi is THE cutest - I am one lucky person to be her neighbor :)cute blog...you crack me up, Crissy. Born to talk!