Friday, May 25, 2012

Thomson School Arts and Academic Night

On Wednesday evening we had the extreme pleasure of visiting Lexi's school for their Arts and Academic Night.  The evening began with a performance put on by the two Kindergarten classes.  Their phenomenal music teacher, Mrs. Dragosits, worked hard with the children all year to teach them how to sing beautifully as a group.  She gave us a demonstration of how she taught them about pitch, and then asked them to do the same demonstration with the parents.  You can see the two videos of this here and here. Next she had the children sing a beautiful song to us in French, and then they topped off their performance with a beautiful rendition of "Wonderful World".  I believe that an amazing music teacher at young age is a gift to any child, so I am very grateful for the hard work that Mrs. Dragosits does with the children.  She could easily sing nursery rhymes with them each day and move on, but instead she chooses challenges, and really teaches the children something about music.  I was so thrilled to see the final product of all of that hard work.



After the musical performance, we were invited back into the classroom to see all of the work Lexi's done throughout the year.  It was extremely crowded, so we didn't have as much time to see everything as we would have liked, but it was great getting to ready her weekend news journal, and check out her science notebook.  They are really working on some nice projects in her class. 





After spending some additional time roaming the hallways looking for her posted artwork...






...we let the kids run around on the playground for awhile.  I am very impressed by the confidence Lexi has gained on the playground over the school year.  I had an opportunity to watch her interact with some of her friends, and show off her climbing skills.  She has been working hard to master the monkey bars, and was very excited to make it to the third bar while we were playing that evening.  I can't get enough of watching her face a challenge and simply refuse to give up until she gets it right.  That attitude is going to take her very far in life.










It was a wonderful evening all around.  I told Lexi later that I wished we could have Arts and Academic Night every night.  She said that it would be a lot of work to learn that many songs.  :)

No comments: