Thursday, September 8, 2011

First Day of Kindergarten

Yesterday was Lexi's very first real day of Kindergarten, and as her mother I must say it was a smashing success!!  It was once again one of those times that made me want to go back in time to tell myself keeping her in preschool until she is 6 is a *very* good idea.  
Getting out of the house on time was a bit of a challenge, but we made it out by my goal time, without my having to rush the kids too much.  My two goals for school mornings are to get out on time and happy (meaning, no yelling, rushing, etc.).  Considering the level of anxiety yesterday morning we'll call it a win.  It was pouring rain, so we did not get to walk to school as originally planned.  Instead we dropped Zach of at Fadia's, picked up Gigi, and drove to the school (which ultimately got us about one car length closer to the school).  All the children and parents met in the cafeteria (or "cafe" as Lexi calls it), and we all sat around nervously eying the other children and parents, all probably wondering how long we'd be able to hold back tears.  Suddenly there was a call for all students to line up, and I looked to see every parent kneeling down to say goodbye to their Kindergartners.  I stooped to give Lexi a big squeeze, fulling expecting her to beg me to go with her, or refuse to let go.  But in a second she broke my embrace, grabbed her back pack and lunch box, and ran to line up.  She looked back once when I called to her, but just smiled and walked away with her class.  I was overwhelmed with pride.  My little girl, who just weeks earlier lingered at the classroom door when I was saying goodbye, suddenly grew up and gained an enormous load of confidence.

Ready to go!
Sibling love.
A "good luck" squeeze from Gigi.
Off she went - and she never looked back.
 I spent the entire day wondering what she was doing, and counting the moments until we could pick her up and hear all about it.  When I drove past the school, I admittedly slowed down and tried to peer in the window, but I couldn't see anything.  Then, at 2pm I got a call from the school nurse.  "Hello, Mrs. Lippman?  This is Mrs. O'Neil, the school nurse."  GAH!!! I assumed right away, and was correct, that she was calling because Lexi had a bloody nose.  This was actually the second one of the day, which was why she called.  She let me talk to Lexi, who seemed perfectly happy and ready to return to class.  Then Mrs. O'Neil kept me on the phone for a few minutes longer to gush about my grandmother (Nana) who she cared for in the nursing home, and my dad, who she thinks is the best guy in the world.  Always good to know that the school staff likes your family!

By 3pm I couldn't wait to see her face, and hear all about her day.  She greeted me and Gigi with a huge smile, and so many stories she could barely get them all out.  The bottom line was that she had an amazing day, and couldn't wait to go back today.  I couldn't be more thrilled for her - she is going to have an amazing career at Thomson School.

This morning she was up and ready to go to school.  I walked her in again today, and we were immediately met by a little girl who was standing with her older brother looking a little lost and nervous.  When she saw us coming she jumped in front of Lexi and said, "Are you in Miss. Sciammana's class?"  Lexi nodded, they both smiled, and off they went together, best of friends.

Day 2 - Cute as pie.
Zach wanted his picture taken too, but didn't want to leave his cereal.

Lexi and her friend Lauren


No comments: