Sunday, January 30, 2011

What We Have Here Is a Failure To Communicate

So, as I suppose most boys are at his age - Zachary is fascinated with his penis. Just last week, in fact, Fadia could barely stop laughing long enough to tell me that when she went to change his diaper he demanded that she "say hello to my penis!" (I assume that this is because I always tell him to say goodbye to his penis so that I can get him to let go and put his diaper on) As time has gone on he's asked about Lexi's penis, which in turn forced us to explain that Zachy has a penis and Lexi has a popoe (I don't know to spell this made up word, sorry). He likes to review these facts often, and brings it up anywhere and everywhere.

So, this evening, after returning from a fantastic ski weekend with Auntie Ali and Uncle Brian, Zach was talking to Grammy on the phone and giving her the rundown of the weekend. Zachary is not that easy to understand in person, but over the phone and with a stuffy nose it's next to impossible to understand a word he says. So there was a lot of "Really? Wow..."s coming from Grammy who wasn't making much out. So Grammy started asking Zachary all about his ski trip,
Grammy - "Did you ski down the mountain?"
Zach - "Yea"
Grammy - "Did you wear a lot of clothes while you were skiing, to keep toasty warm?"
Zach - "Yea."
Grammy - "And when you went inside, did you have some cocoa?"
Zach - "No! I have penis. Lexi have popoe"
I almost died laughing in the background. Grammy asked him a couple of times to repeat what he said, and then went on with, "Oh, wonderful..." having no idea that she was being set straight about who has what piece of anatomy in this house.

No comments: