Monday, February 22, 2010

My Little Therapist

I've been feeling very down over the past few days over an argument with some friends in my running club. Since I've been asked not to talk about it, the feelings just keep ruminating in my mind, and I can't seem to let go. This morning Lexi asked me why I was so sad. I said, "Oh, I had a disagreement with my friends, and I feel sad over it." She said, "Did they make fun of you, Mama?" I said, "No, we just disagree over something." She said, "Why don't you work it out?" I said, "Well, they won't let me talk to them, so I can't." She said, "Mama, why don't you call Gigi?" I told her that I did, and Gigi is sad too, but that I just can't seem to stop thinking about it. She thought for a minute and said, "Remember when I got that book for Christmas and it had the scary picture in it? When I went to sleep I kept dreaming about the picture and couldn't get it out of my head." "Yes" I said, "You were very upset. What did you do to get the picture out of your head?" She said, "Well, when I woke up in the morning I came downstairs and had some juice. And then, the picture was just gone from my head! So, maybe you should just try drinking some juice." I told her I thought that sounded like a great idea, and that I would try it right away.
I hope she marries well, because this child has a career in therapy. As she sat there talking to me, she looked right at me, spoke with empathy, and really validated my feelings. I'm pretty sure it was the best therapy session I've ever had! I feel better already. And now, off to get some juice.

No comments: