For the first time this year, I have begun hearing Lexi talking about boys in an "I like him, he likes me" kind of way. I recall being in second grade when I had my first "boyfriend", so it's not a huge shock, and kind of cute. However, this week blew me away!
As we were getting ready for her swimming lesson, Lexi was telling me that she had lunch with her friend Michael. Michael sits at the peanut free table, so she does not usually eat with him. I was curious what caused that to happen, so I asked. She told me that some of the girls came running over to her at recess and said that Michael just "finally" admitted that he loved her. My brazen little girl marched herself right over to him and said, "Do you love me?" His response? He ran away. Typical boy. That didn't stop Lexi. She found him again and "had a talk with him" and he finally admitted that he did like her, but he didn't love her. (Phew!) So I said, "Then he asked you to join him for lunch?" And she said, "No, I asked him." Welcome to modern day first grade dating!! Lexi likes Michael, but she also likes Aidan, so while she's flattered by Michael's feelings, she's certainly not gushy about it.
Later in the evening she told me that while she was having lunch with Michael, she looked over and saw her friend Brigid crying. She said that Brigid really likes Michael, and she was probably sad that she was eating with him. I suggested that she is too young to let boys get in the way of friendships with her girlfriends, and that maybe she should discuss it with Brigid the next day.
So, yesterday after school I asked her if she had a chance to talk to Brigid. She said, "Yup! Everything is ok." I said that was good and asked her how the discussion went. She said, "Well, I said to her, 'You know how you were upset that I was eating lunch with Michael yesterday? Well how about if we take turns eating with him?' She said, 'ok' and it was over." And so, Brigid had the lunch date yesterday, and tomorrow (today is a half day) will be Lexi's turn again. Michael must be feeling very good right about now. Nothing like having two girls fighting over you in first grade!
No comments:
Post a Comment