Saturday, February 9, 2013

The Blizzard of 2013

After two years of very little snow, the kids were SO excited to hear that we were getting a blizzard.  It started snowing early Friday morning, and at least once an hour Zach would run to the window and say, "Is it the blizzard yet??"  It snowed steadily all day, but only accumulated about 7 inches by the time Ahren and I went to bed.  The winds were whipping, so we notched up the heat, and prayed we would still have power in the morning.

I was very glad to wake up to the banging of the heat this morning at 6am.  Shortly thereafter the kids hopped out of bed and wanted to go check out the snow.  At 7am it was still snowing quite a bit and we already had 2 feet!  After a hearty breakfast, we got suited up and made our way out.  WOW!!  It seemed like a lot from the windows, but it was really much more impressive once we got out in it.  I almost got stuck in the street when I went out to take some pictures.  As I started to make my way back to the house, my leg went so far into the snow, I could barely get it out!

This quickly became the trend with the kids as well.  They would play around happily for about 10 minutes before we would hear cries of "HELP!  I'm stuck!!" and one of us would have to go pull them out of the snow.

Sadly, the snow blower wouldn't run, so Ahren and I spent about two hours shoveling.  We're not quite done yet, but we're hoping to borrow the neighbor's snow blower to finish up later.  It took me a solid hour just to clear off my car, and get a path all the way around it.

It's been a very exciting couple of days so far.  Ahren promised to bring the kids to the playground to sled once the plows are all gone.  That could actually be tomorrow.  There was a 24 hour driving ban, and even with that the plows have had a hard time keeping up.  Our street is completely impassable at the moment.

The sun in starting to break through, and we'll be cleaning up (and playing) for awhile.  The Blizzard of 2013 has certainly been one to remember!!

My car, half buried by the snow.

This is the only way Zach could get around in the snow.  It was up to his head in many parts!

Lexi shows off the pile on our deck.

Zach shows off the pile at the bottom of the stairs.

The yard.  The snow almost covered the picnic table!

Harold Street.

The snow at the end of the driveway is at least as high as my waist.  I almost got stuck on the street!

The drifting made for some very interesting snow piles!

Dude, where's my car??

Harold Street

Ahren made a path to the garage to get the snow blower.  Sadly, it wouldn't run.  :(

Lexi found a stage.

Attempting to take a picture of Lexi, I almost got stuck in the yard.

Lexi got to sled off the hood of my car.
Later this afternoon, we finally got to go sledding!!

On our way to the hill!

There was a beautiful sunset!

Zach wipes out!

Lexi has a blast!!


No comments: