Sunday, January 15, 2012

Nibble

Tonight we had movie night - a fun evening in the Lippman house where Lexi usually complains about the movie we choose up until thirty seconds into the movie when she is so enthralled she forgets to eat her dinner, and Zach, while seeming to enjoy the movie, will ask us every ten minutes if it's over yet, or why we're laughing.  It's always a fun night. 
This evening's selection was "Horton Hears a Who", previously vetoed by Lexi who believes she is too grown up to watch anything even slightly funny, so we had to trick her into watching it...i.e., just don't tell her the title until we're safely thirty seconds in. 
The cartoon movies often drive me crazy because I can recognize the voices of the actors, but often have trouble placing them, and tonight was no different.  The kangaroo in the movie made me nuts.  I could swear she sounded like Carol Burnett, but for some reason I didn't think that seemed right, so I kept trying to figure it out.  When the movie was over I came to the computer to find out, and when I saw that it actually was Carol Burnett, I commented, out loud, that it was amusing.  Lexi wanted to know why it amused me, which lead me to tell her about "Annie", my all time favorite childhood movie.  To show her who Carol Burnett was, I pulled up a youtube video of her singing "Little Girls" from the movie.  If you've seen it you may recall that she sings, "I'd like a man to nibble on my ear..." and is quite drunk during the scene.  About halfway in, a minute or so after the nibble line, Zach turned to me and said, "Mama, did a man bited her?"  I tried to stifle my laughter and said, "No, honey, no one bit her."  He paused and said, "Oh.  Well, why is she sad then?"  I guess three might just be a little too young for "Annie".  Although, after watching those scenes again as a mother, I'm not sure it's entirely appropriate for a six year old either, despite the fact that I fondly remember watching that movie and loving it at Lexi's age.  Either way, we all have "Annie" fever now, and have already decided that it's the next movie on deck for movie night.  I can't wait!

1 comment:

Lyn said...

Hahaha! That is so funny! I can just picture the whole scene!
Love,
Mama xoxo!