Thursday, September 18, 2008

Grrrr....l

Lexi takes great pride in her linguistic accomplishments throughout her short three years. A conversation that we have over and over and over again goes as follows:

Lexi: Mama, when I was a little baby, all I could say was "nana".
Me: Yes, and what can you say now?
Lexi: BAnana.
Me: Yup, you're a big girl now!
Lexi: Yea, but I can still only say "gir", because I'm only three years old.
Me: Yes, but soon you'll be able to say "girl".

So, tonight I was explaining to her that girl is just "grr" with the "l" sound after it, so I went over and over, "gir...l, gir...l" but she wasn't interested in trying. Then suddenly after a few minutes she goes, "girl. Did you hear that Mommy?? I said it! GIRL!!" She had, and I was proud, but no one was more proud of her new accomplishment than she was. She made Daddy come upstairs to tell him what she could say, repeating it over and over for full effect, "I can say 'girl', see Daddy? Girl. Girl. Girl." Daddy was also quite proud. Then she needed to teach Tony the Tiger how to say girl, but he couldn't do it and still just says "grr" (which is appropriate for a tiger). Even in the middle of her stories she reminded me about how she can say "girl". "Yes, Lexi. I'm very, very proud of you." Stories over, time for bed...I tuck her in, watch her close her eyes for the minute, and then the one more half of minute, and head downstairs.

A few minutes later I'm called back because she needed another blanket. She asks me to watch her for one more half of minute, to which I agree if she closes her eyes. As she rolls over to go to sleep she goes, "Girl." "Did you hear that, Mama? I can say 'girl' now."

Yes, baby...I couldn't be more proud.

No comments: