Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas Preparations 2010

Preparing for Christmas with Lexi and Zachary this year was a blast. They both have the same love for Christmas that their mom has and love listening to Christmas songs, decorating, cooking and baking and just enjoying everything that Christmas has to offer even before the big day.

Lexi has been helping me cook and bake for years, but this year Zachary is old enough to help out too, and really got a kick out of it...especially using the "cooking power tools"!


This year, Lexi was old enough to help Gigi and Mom cook the traditional Christmas Teepo Peepo (Tiropita, Greek Cheese Pie). I have been helping my mom with this for as long as I can remember. My job has always been to butter the filo dough layers, while my mom prepares the cheese filling. This year, extra thick filo dough was the perfect training filo for Lexi to learn the trade. She did great, and I was told that the teepo was fantastic this year. (My mom and I still make it, even though we haven't been able to eat it for years!)

This year Lexi really wanted to make Christmas cut-out cookies, so I converted an old sugar cookie recipe to gluten free, and this was our final product. The cookies were fantastic and both kids had a great time using the cookie cutters, and decorating.

Many of our neighbors delivered treats to us as well this year. One gave us some chocolate covered marshmallows for our hot chocolate. The kids *really* liked that!

One of the best parts of Christmas this year was going to see the Rockettes with Lexi, Gigi and Poppy and Great Gram. We had a fantastic time. Lexi told us that she didn't blink for the entire first half of the show. This may have to be a new tradition in the family.

We always help Gigi and Poppy decorate their Christmas Tree. This year Zachary got to top the tree with the angel.

What's more fun than matching Christmas jammies?? The kids LOVED dressing in their "candy cane" jammies every night. Our good friend Annie gave them both sets, and they are pretty cute in them.



By the time Christmas arrived this year, I had already had all the fun I needed. There is nothing more fun than preparing for the big day with my kids. And now that it's all over, I'm hoping the deconstruction of Christmas will be just as much of a thrill for them...maybe not.

No comments: