Along with teeth, of which he now has at least nine (four on the bottom, three on the top front, and two molars), Zach has had a language explosion lately. It's not just what he is able to say that has improved, but also what he can understand. We have finally come to a point where we can exchange a few words back and forth and actually understand each other. He can successfully ask for a ball, juice, cheese, or crackers (which he also calls cheese) and I can successfully understand. I can tell him that I'm going to change his diaper, or bring him downstairs before "num-nums" and he also understands. He also follows directions pretty well now. I can tell him to "Go find Lexi", "Go throw it away", or "Let's go take a bath/brush teeth/go upstairs" and he definitely understands and follows. Speaking of Lexi, he now has a name for her...it sounds a bit like "Betsy" but it's clear when he's talking about her or looking for her.
He now plays and interacts with his friends and family like a regular little kid. He says "hi" and "bye" to everyone and everything (including balls), plays games with other kids, dances to the music, and wants to do everything that Lexi is doing. If she's coloring, he's coloring. If she's brushing her teeth, he wants to brush his teeth. If she's eating, he has to eat. And the worst, if she's crying, he's crying...he might not know why, but he will cry his eyes out if Lexi cries. It is "Monkey See Monkey Do" with everything in our house. But it's not a bad thing. Lexi is teaching Zachary all sorts of wonderful things, and being such an angel of a child, I'm pretty happy to have her as his role model.
Yup, my baby is growing up...both of them actually...and it just keeps getting better. Last week Lexi asked me if I wished she was still a baby. I told her that while I loved it when she was tiny and I could hold her in my arms and snuggle her anytime I wanted, I would never go back. I love it now that she's old enough to have conversations with. She's become my buddy...we shop together, cook together, play together, and have fantastic conversations. I love watching the world through her eyes...and now Zachary's as he is able to express his opinions as well. I love it when Lexi says things like, "Soon there will be more arm where my hand is now!" and "Lightening is more frightening to me than thunder". I love listening to my children talk, and I love having conversation with them. Babies are great, but this time is so much fun. They're growing up and we're having a ball...or "bawwwwl" as Zach would say...and I wouldn't change it for the world.
No comments:
Post a Comment