Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day

Dear Lexi and Zachary,

Today is Mother's Day, a day when we are supposed to stop and remember to thank our moms for everything they do for us throughout the year. But today as your mommy, I want to stop and thank you. You each have your own ways of making me feel like the luckiest mom alive each day.

Lexi, when you say things to me like, "You're the sweetest Mama in the whole world." or "Mama, in my eyes you are fancy" (when I forget to dress up for the Mother Tea at your school) or when I tell you I'm tired and you come over and give me the most loving and gentle hugs, it absolutely melts my heart. Sometimes I wonder if you're really three years old, or an adult stuck in a little girl's body. In the last three and a half years you have become my best friend and I truly enjoy every moment we spend together. When you call me back in the room for one more hug and kiss, or when we go through our bedtime routine each night - one minute, then one half a minute, then good night, sweet dreams, I'll see you in the morning - it reminds me that I am simply the luckiest Mommy in the world.

Zachary, for a five month old you sure can melt a Mama's heart yourself! The hugs you give me in the morning, or after a long day at Yaya's, or even after we've been apart for only five minutes make me feel like you're the one protecting me. You hold on and squeeze so tight, so lovingly. And this morning, after I had been away all night, your greeting made my week. Your face lit up like a Christmas tree, and your arms started waving, and within just moments you were actually crying with joy that I was home. There could be no greater homecoming, and once I had you in my arms, I cried with joy a bit too. It's nice to have a night away, but there is nothing like coming home to my baby.

Flowers and cards and fancy lunches are wonderful, but there is no better way for me to celebrate Mother's Day than to have my angels, my sweet, sweet babies in my arms. Thank you both for being the best gifts on earth.

Love,
Mama

No comments: